Study In Canada

Canada hosts some of the worlds best post secondary and post graduate educational institutes in the world. With the quality education and safe environment offered, Canada is the ideal destination for all students to not only pursue the best education possible, but also to eventually settle permanently as a future Canadian.

We have the best Advisers

3M Immigration Consultancy is committed to facilitating clients in attaining admissions to Educational Institutes in Canada and specializes in the Study Visa process.

Apply for Admission

In case you want to apply for study in a different institution, we would gladly assist you through the admissions process.

British Columbia


Eligibility Requirements

You can come to Canada to study if you

If you’re under 18, you don’t have to be fully vaccinated. You do need to study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with an approved COVID-19 readiness plan. Get enrolled at a DLI.

Have Enough Money To Pay For

  • Your tuition fees

  • Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

  • Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada

Supporting Certificates

  • Obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate.

  • Are in good health and get a medical exam.

  • Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires.

Proof of Acceptance

Your school must send you a letter of acceptance. Include the original or electronic copy of your letter with your study permit application.

Conditional Acceptance and Prerequisite Courses

If you’ve been conditionally accepted, this means you need to take prerequisite courses. For example, these might be English as a second language or French as a second language courses. You must complete these before you can start your main study program.

If this is the case, we’ll only issue your study permit for the length of those courses plus 1 year. Once you’re accepted into your main program, you’ll need to apply for a new student permit to extend your stay as a student.


If you’re the family member of someone who has a study permit or work permit application that’s been approved in writing before you come to Canada, you don’t need a letter of acceptance.

Proof of Identity

When applying for your study permit, you and each family member who comes with you to Canada must have

  • A valid passport or travel document

    • Online applicants: Upload a copy of the information page of your passport when you apply online.
      • If you’re approved, you must then send us your original passport.
    • Citizens of the United States have some options on the identification documents they can carry.
    • Lawful permanent residents of the United States must travel with a valid green card (or equivalent official proof of status in the U.S.) and a valid passport from their country of nationality (or an equivalent document).
  • Two recent passport-size photo

    • The name and date of birth of the person should be written on the back of each photo.

Proof of Financial Support

You must prove that you can support yourself, and the family members who come with you, while you are in Canada.

You can prove your funds with:

  • Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you’ve transferred money to Canada

  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution

  • Proof of a student or education loan from a bank

  • Your bank statements for the past 4 months

  • A bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars

  • Proof you paid tuition and housing fees

  • A letter from the person or school giving you money

  • Proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program

Minimum funds needed to support yourself as a student (and family members who come with you):

Outside Quebec

Persons coming to Canada Amount of funds required per year (doesn’t include tuition) Amount of funds required per month (additional to the tuition)
You (the student) CAN$10,000 CAN$833
First family member CAN$4,000 CAN$333
Every additional accompanying family member CAN$3,000 CAN$255

If you and 2 family members want to come to a province (other than Quebec) for a year, you will need

  • living expenses: $10,000 (for the student)

  • living expenses: $4,000 (for the first family member)

  • living expenses: $3,000 (for the second family member)

Total: $17,000

In Quebec

People coming to Canada Funds per year (doesn’t include tuition) Amount of funds required per month (doesn’t include tuition)
1 person under the age of 18 CAN$6,569 CAN$547
1 person aged 18 or over CAN$13,134 CAN$1,095
2 people aged 18 or over CAN$19,264 CAN$1,605
2 people aged 18 or over and 1 person under the age of 18 CAN$21,579 CAN$1,798
2 people aged 18 or over and 2 people under the age of 18 CAN$23,290 CAN$1,941

If your country uses foreign-exchange controls, you must prove that you’ll be allowed to export funds for all of your expenses.

Letter of Explanation

This letter helps the visa officer to understand you and your goals. It explains

  • Why you want to study in Canada

  • That you understand your responsibilities as a student

You should include this letter if you decide to apply for a study permit, even if you don’t have to get a study permit for your program.

Québec Acceptance Certificate

If you want to study in Quebec for longer than 6 months, you need a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) issued by the Gouvernement du Québec. Your school can give you all the details on how to apply for the CAQ.

If your application for a CAQ got approved by the ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI), but you’re still waiting to get the CAQ, you can apply for your study permit with the approval letter from the MIFI. You don’t need to wait for the CAQ to apply.

Find out about the process and the documents you need for studying in Quebec.

If you plan to study in Quebec for less than 6 months, you can apply for a study permit without a CAQ.

Custodian declaration (minor children)

If the minor requires a custodian, you must include the Custodianship Declaration form (PDF, 1.02 MB) with your application. It has 2 pages that must be notarized (certified by a notary) and then included with your study permit application.

The custodian in Canada must sign the first page, and the parents or legal guardians of the minor child in the child’s home country must sign the second page.

Other Documents

Check the visa office instructions for your country or region for local requirements.

If you aren’t currently in your home country, you may have to prove your immigration status in the country you apply from.

If the government that issued your passport or travel document needs you to have a re-entry permit, you must get one before you apply for a Canadian visa. You may also need other documents.

If we request documents from you for an application in progress

  • We’ll contact you to request the supporting documents.

    • This will happen in the next few months.
    • You’ll have 30 days from the date we contact you to submit the information.
  • Start collecting your documents.

    • Do this before we contact you. It can take time to get certain documents.
    • Check the last email we sent you to confirm what you need to submit.
  • Don’t travel to another city or country to get the supporting documents.

  • We’ll consider extending your deadline if you have a reasonable explanation that shows you’re affected by COVID-19.


Antigua and Barbuda, Brazil, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, India, Morocco, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Senegal, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Vietnam.

You have an acceptance letter from a post-secondary designated learning institution.

You are living outside of Canada when you apply.

Have proof you have paid your tuition for your first year of study.

Have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAN$10,000.

Have a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) from the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration.

  • This is only if you’re planning to study in Quebec

Get a medical exam before you apply (if you need one).

Get a police certificate before you apply (if you need one).

Have your most recent secondary or post-secondary school transcript(s).

Have a language test result that shows either:

Depending on where you’re applying from, you may also need to provide other documents. Make sure you include all the documents required by the visa office that processes your application.

We may ask you to give additional documents to support your application. In this situation, your application will take longer to process.

Who isn’t eligible for the Student Direct Stream

If you live anywhere other than 1 of the countries listed above (even if you’re a citizen of one of the countries above), you must apply through the regular study permit application process.

If you live in another country (even if you’re a citizen of one of the countries above), or if you don’t meet the eligibility for faster processing, you may still be eligible for a study permit through the regular study permit application process.

Proof of full payment of tuition for the applicant’s first year of study

This may be in the form of the following:

  • a receipt from the DLI
  • an official letter from the DLI confirming payment of tuition fees
  • a receipt from a bank showing that tuition fees have been paid to the DLI
  • proof that the tuition fee amount has been transferred into a repository account at the DLI to be applied to the tuition bill at a later date

Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)

A GIC is a Canadian investment that has a guaranteed rate of return for a fixed period of time. Many banks offer GICs. The bank that gives you the GIC must:

  • confirm that you bought a GIC by giving you 1 of the following:
    • a letter of attestation
    • a GIC certificate
    • an Investment Directions Confirmation or
    • an Investment Balance Confirmation
  • hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account that you can’t access until you arrive in Canada
  • make you confirm your identity before they release any funds to you
  • release the funds to you by providing:
    • an initial lump sum once you identify yourself upon arrival in Canada
    • the remainder of the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months

If your bank or GIC doesn’t meet these criteria, you won’t be able to apply through the Student Direct Stream.

Financial institutions that offer GICs

You can get a GIC from a financial institution listed on the Canadian Deposit Insurance Company website. Make sure the financial institution you choose offers a GIC and meets the criteria for the Student Direct Stream.

The following financial institutions offer GICs that meet the criteria:

Medical exams and police certificates

Depending on where you’re applying from, you may need to get a medical exam or police certificate. To get faster processing through the Student Direct Stream, you must include these with your application (if you need them). If you don’t, we won’t process your application faster.

Who needs a medical exam

You may need to get a medical exam if:

  • you lived or travelled in certain countries or territories for 6 or more months in the year before you come to Canada, or
  • you plan on studying or working in:
    • the health field
    • primary or secondary education, or
    • child or elder care

To get a medical exam, you must see a doctor that has been approved by IRCC.

Find out more about medical exams.

Who needs a police certificate

Your visa office instructions will tell you if you need to get a police certificate. You’ll find these instructions when you select your country of residence below. Make sure you read these instructions before you apply, so you know if you need a police certificate or any other documents to apply.

Find out more about police certificates.

Bring your spouse or partner and children with you to Canada

Your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children may also be able to get faster processing on a

  • visitor visa
  • work permit
  • study permit

You must complete and submit their applications at the same time as your own. If you don’t, we will not process their applications faster. When you apply online, indicate that you have family members coming with you to Canada. This lets you complete their applications with yours.

Admissions Process

In case you want to apply for study in a different institution, we would gladly assist you through the admissions process.